Do I need certification if I charter bareboat?


Do I need certification if I charter bareboat

This answer varies a lot, depending on the country you are planning to charter in and where you are planning to go to. If you are planning on chartering a powerboat, you’ll need at least a power boat lvl 2, and if you are chartering a bareboat you will need at least a day skipper/ICCor ASA 104 or equivalent. If you have a license from your home country, normally you can complete a ICC application, and send it in through your licensing body (for instance the RYA) and you’ll receive the ICC. If you belong to a sailing club, they can generally help you with courses and licenses. If you’re renting a sailboat, the answer to this question is more varied.

You will definitely need a day skipper license in Spain/Greece/Italy/Croatia/Turkey/Thailand/Australia. In France, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, Mexico, Belize, New Caledonia and Tahiti you will be able to take the boat if you can show experience and competence via sailing resume. You should take along any previous documentation of charters you have done as it will be required by your personal broker. Do not leave it to risk, however – we will review all of your documentation and qualifications prior to the charter to make sure you can get the boat!

If you do not qualify to charter bareboat, we highly recommend you still do the charter but with a hired skipper. Most skippers are a lot of fun and can teach you a lot and assist in making the most of your holiday, while also letting you relax when you want to!